Archdiocese of Ozamis
ARCHDIOCESE OF OZAMIS - PHILIPPINES
On January 27, 1951, the Bull Supremum nobis Pope Pius XII created part of the Diocese of Cagayan into a separate Prelatura Nullius with the Cathedral seat at Ozamiz (called Ozamis in the eccles-iastical doc-uments). It comprised the civil provinces of Misamis Occidental, Lanao del Norte and Lanao del Sur.
On March 5, 1952, Fr. Patrick Cronin of the Society of St. Columban was appointed Apostolic Administrator; he was elevated Bishop-Prelate Ordinary on May 24, 1955.
On February 17, 1971, Pope Paul VI by the Bull Qui in Apostolico elevated the Prelature of Ozamis into a diocese with the Most Rev. Jesus Varela as its first residential Bishop. By the same Bull the two Lanao provinces were constituted into a separate prelature and remained within the jurisdiction of Cagayan. The new diocese of Ozamis, now consisting only of the civil province of Misamis Occidental, was transferred to the ecclesiastical province of Zambo-anga.
In 1980, Bishop Varela was transferred to the diocese of Sorsogon but continued as Apostolic Administrator of the diocese.
On July 29, 1981, Pope John Paul II appointed the Most Rev. Jesus Dosado, C.M., until then Auxiliary to the Archbishop of Cagayan de Oro, as the second residential Bishop of Ozamiz. He was installed in the Cathedral on September 1, 1981.
On January 24, 1983, Pope John Paul II through the bull Quo majus quidem, created a new ecclesiastical province with the metropolitan See at Ozamis and the suffragan sees of Dipolog, Pagadian, Iligan and the prelature of Marawi, now officially called St. Mary's in Marawi. The resident Bishop of Ozamis, Most Rev. Jesus Dosado, C.M., was promoted as the first Archbishop and was installed as such on April 10, 1983.
The Archdiocese of Ozamiz is composed of fourteen (14) municipalities and three (3) component cities with four hundred and ninety (490) barangays. The three cities are Ozamiz, Tangub and Oroquieta. The latter is the provincial capital. The municipalities are Concepcion, Sapang Dalaga, Baliangao, Calamba, Plaridel, Lopez Jaena, Aloran, Panaon, Jimenez, Sincaban, Tudela, Clarin, Bonifacio and Don Victoriano.
Ozamiz, where the cathedral see is located, lies at exactly 8 degrees, 10 minutes latitude and 123 degrees, 50 minutes latitude.
Ecclesiastically, Misamis Occidental had originally belonged to the Diocese of Cebu. In 1865 the Diocese of Jaro was erected, and western Mindanao (Misamis Occidental included) came under the Bishop of Jaro. In 1910 the Diocese of Zamboanga was created with jurisdiction over all of Mindanao and Sulu. In 1933, Mindanao was divided into two dioceses, and Misamis Occidental came under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Cagayan.
According to the National Statistics Office, the province of Misamis Occidental has four hundred twenty four thousand three hundred sixty-five (424,365) inhabitants as of May 1, 1990. Population density is two hundred nineteen (219) persons per square kilometer and total number of households is eighty thousand one hundred eighty-six (80,186).
Preliminary results of the October 1991 survey show that Misamis Occidental has an estimated household population of 297,000 persons whose ages ranged from 15 years old and above. Sixty two (62) percent of 183,000 persons are in the labor force with males outnumbering females by 52 percent. The provincial labor force is dominated by those employed in the agricultural sector with 104,000 persons, majority of whom are agricultural work-ers.
According to the projections of the Bureau of Census, of the inhabitants we have these classifications:
Iglesia ni Cristo: 2,970
Protestants: 13,500 Muslims: 504
The vast majority of the people originated from the Visayan provinces of Cebu, Bohol and Siquijor. They brought with them their Visayan culture, language and religious traditions. On the mountain ranges there are tribal groups called Suban-ons with their own language and culture. They keep being pushed back into the mountains.